EViews 8 Silent install

For questions regarding installation and registration of EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

ivvi

EViews 8 Silent install

Postby ivvi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:51 am

Hallo, is it possible to install EViews 8 Silently with customized options?

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: EViews 8 Silent install

Postby EViews Gareth » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:01 am

Silent install of 8 should work the same as for previous versions.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

wanderer

Postby wanderer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:02 am

The previous instructions for Eviews 7 work fine - setup.exe -r -f1c:\eviews\install\setup.iss for Eviews 7 . However for Eviews 8 there is no setup.exe. We were directed to download the updated files and these are EViews8Installer(64-bit).exe and EViews8Installer.exe. I've tried using the -r switch but it doesn't work, nor am I able to extract the msi and run that directly as I get an error message that the msi can only be run via "the setup.exe". Where can I get the setup.exe (s) that I need to create a silent install package for Eviews 8?

Thanks,

Stephen

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:48 am

The files EViews8Installer(64-bit).exe and EViews8Installer.exe are equivalent to setup.exe. If you are running "EViews8Installer(64-bit).exe -r -f1c:\temp\myinstall.iss" make sure your path (in my case c:\temp) already exist and when you start your DOS prompt you 'run as administrator'.

wanderer

Postby wanderer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:07 am

Jason,

Thanks for your reply. I'm testing it on a 64 bit Windows 7 PC and if I run the Eviews8installer.exe -r -f1c:\test\test.iss then it works, I can record and play back the installation successfully. However if I run EViews8Installer(64-bit).exe -r -f1c:\test64.iss (from the same admin command prompt) then all I get is the generic msi command line help. I tried doing a "play back" with the 64 bit version from the .iss file that I'd created with the 32 bit version (both with and without changing the path from "program files (x86)" to "program files") but this failed in the same way.

The version of EViews8Installer(64-bit).exe that I'm using is 190,758,128 bytes.

Thanks,

Stephen

wanderer

Re: EViews 8 Silent install - Resolved

Postby wanderer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:19 am

The problem is due to the filename EViews8Installer(64-bit).exe. If I change it to EViews8Installer64.exe then I can record and play back the 64 bit install OK. Maybe you could change this on your website to stop others having this problem?

Cheers,

Stephen

EViews Jason
EViews Developer

Postby EViews Jason » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 am

Although both 32 bit and 64 bit installers ask the same questions and in the same order, they are 2 separate products. You can try using the same setup.iss for both, but if you look at the contents of an iss file, you will see there are some product specific codes listed. I suspect this may be causing the problem.

On which operating system are you using and how are you running the executable? Is it from a .bat file or are you typing the command from a Windows DOS prompt?

Return to “Installation and Registration”