SMS installation of EViews6? RESOLVED

For questions regarding installation and registration of EViews.

Moderators: EViews Gareth, EViews Jason, EViews Steve, EViews Moderator

stephenejones

SMS installation of EViews6? RESOLVED

Postby stephenejones » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:10 am

Hi,

I've read some of the other posts here, which suggest that EViews client can be distributed via SMS, however, I'm having problems.

I've created a package in SMS 2003, incorporating the license/cloning key - as described in the installation guide and this post here.

The package has been assigned, and is available on the distribution point ok. I have tried invoking the program to install silently on the client via the two following two methods:

1. Using the command line directly specified in the SMS program properties dialog box:

\\smsserver.domain\SMSPKGD$\S020000A\INSTALL\Setup.exe -s -f1\\smsserver.domain\SMSPKGD$\S020000A\INSTALL\setup.iss

2. Or, running a batch file:

\\smserver.domain\SMSPKGS$\S020000A\INSTALL\Setup.bat

(which in turn, simply calls the same command line).

My client is Windows XP SP3.

I have set the SMS program properties to run the assignment 'Whether or not a user is logged on' and with administrator rights.

For some reason, the client receives the assignment/advertisement from SMS, and then finishes after only 5 seconds as 'successful'. However, it hasn't actually installed on the client, and obviously, it wouldn't in reality install it that quickly!

If I log onto a client workstation, and manually go to Run... \\smserver.domain\SMSPKGS$\S020000A\INSTALL\Setup.bat, it runs the batch file, goes away and silently installs EViews 6 successfully in approx. 3 minutes. So, this proves that the batch file that is being hosted/called from my SMS distribution point is working.

Any ideas? Is it that I cannot distribute this by SMS when the workstation is not logged on - i.e. can it only execute if someone is logged on at the time of installation? (That's going to be my next port of call!).

Are there any additional switches I can use in that command line to output a log file of the installation?

Thanks in advance!

stephenejones

Re: SMS installation of EViews6 ?

Postby stephenejones » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:43 am

Well, configuring the assignment to run when a user is logged on didn't resolve it.

I've managed to answer my own question above, and have added -f2C:\Temp\install.log in order to get an output log from Installshield to see if I can trace the problem.

Any other ideas (especially if you successfully push this out via SMS) would be greatfully received!

stephenejones

Re: SMS installation of EViews6 ?

Postby stephenejones » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:09 am

OK, this is now working.

For some reason, adding the -f2C:\Temp\install.log to the batch file being hosted/called from the SMS distribution point has corrected the problem.

I can therefore only think that the reason the EViews installer was exiting might be due to Installshield not being able to write an install log file in the default location?

Weird, but haven't got time to worry about why! At least it's now working :D

EViews Gareth
Fe ddaethom, fe welon, fe amcangyfrifon

Re: SMS installation of EViews6? RESOLVED

Postby EViews Gareth » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:02 am

Glad we could help :D
Follow us on Twitter @IHSEViews

stephenejones

Re: SMS installation of EViews6? RESOLVED

Postby stephenejones » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:23 am

:lol:

Return to “Installation and Registration”